Wednesday 21 December 2011

(Sort of) Budget Beater - Karakuri

These segments are far less regular than I would like them to be, but to be honest the game is giving me a headache at the moment. On one hand, cards like Photon Sabre Tiger and Gishkis are giving me new ways to innovate decks, the decks that I come up with are largely hindered by the lack of Tour Guides at my disposal. YCS Brighton went on last weekend, I didn't go (no money, Quelle Surprise, and Sherlock Holmes was better), and it was won by Dino Rabbits, a deck that I ran when the cards were announced in the OCG, but quickly stopped using after the rarities were hiked (thanks Konami, that's another dream shattered). I have, however, been testing Karakuris, another deck that I love playing. So far I haven't lost with this build, and although Maxx "C" is expensive and the extra deck adds up, this is as cheap as winning gets right now:

(Excuse me for not typing the full names, I'm lazy like that)

21
3 Karakuri Komachi "Ninishi"
3 Karakuri Ninja "Kuick"
3 Karakuri Soldier "Nisamu"
3 Karakuri Merchant "Inashichi"
1 Karakuri Strategist "Nishipachi"
1 Karakuri Watchdog "Saizan"
1 Karakuri Muso "Haipa"
2 Cyber Dragon
2 Genex Neutron
2 Maxx "C"

12
2 Instant Fusion
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Limiter Removal
1 Mind Control
1 Forbidden Lance
1 Pot of Avarice
1 Book of Moon
1 Dark Hole
1 Monster Reborn
1 Heavy Storm

7
2 Solemn Warning
2 Dimensional Prison
1 Fiendish Chain
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Trap Dustshoot

2 Karakuri Steel Shogun "Bureido"
2 Karakuri Shogun "Burei"
1 Naturia Landoise
1 Naturia Barkion
2 Cyber Saurus
1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
1 Number 39: Utopia
1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Ally of Justice Catastor

The monster line up is very similar to what Jeff Jones ran at YCS Toronto, but I think it's important to not what I didn't run. He played three copies of Genex Neutron, Maxx "C" and Cyber Dragon in his deck, Genex Neutron is an awesome card, it helps set up the combos and it beats over Tengu, but with every deck main boarding Thunder King I felt like I wasn't getting his effect off as much as I'd like (at three) so I cut it down. Cyber Dragon is really good in this deck, he is the yin to the Neutron's yang, he beats over Thunder King and helps with the OTK, but I didn't like not being able to summon Merchant or Neutron while he was on the field  because I risked losing both of the monsters to a Fortress Dragon. Granted, I can make my own, but I preferred Instant Fusion as a more explosive card.

Maxx "C" is a controversial card to me. On one hand it deters enemy explosions, provides advantage and combo pieces, and can stop Gorz from ruining your fun, but at the same time, I didn't feel like it added to the main focus of the deck enough, which is OTK as quickly as possible or sit behind a Naturia Beast or Landoise until you can OTK, 2 seemed like the right number. It is also my only draw card.

I decided to omit Duality from my deck, as even though it was nice with Komachi, I'd draw my combo pieces off it too much and my opponent could prepare for the on-coming assault. I decided to run Mind Control, which is really good for making Trishula with opposing Sabersauruses and Kabazauls (due to the popularity of Dino Wabbits). I also included Forbidden Lance in my deck, which helps me to get my explosive plays that usually leave me with 3 Monsters on the field and 4 cards in my hand by allowing the first Steel Shogun to be summoned, and consequently allow another + a Strategist to follow.

When constructing the Trap line up I basically learned from Jeff Jones's mistakes. He wasn't happy with the way that Fiendish Chain played at 3, so when I built my deck I started with 2. I saw what he meant, too many decks can just drop a big monster with no set-up now, so Fiendish Chain is either useless or wasted on a Hyperion that is still 2700 (another reason I like Forbidden Lance and Prison). I went down to 0 Chains and ran 3 Prisons, but I wasn't impressed since I kept losing to Leviair/Tour Guide. I finally settled on 1 Fiendish Chain as tech and one in the side deck, for the Synchrocentric-Good Stuff deck. One is enough to help against Tour Guide but not too much so that I lose to big monsters.

The side deck is a work in progress, so I haven't shown it. Until next time (which should be next Monday, because I'm on holiday) have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment