Friday 28 October 2011

Budget Beater #4 - Hero Beat - I'm back!

To the small number of individuals who read my previous blogs and wondered where a new one was, I apologise, being back at school is harder than I thought. I have a week off, though and I thought I'd shove a new deck at you, one that I will probably be playing until I have enough money to afford an extra deck (and then I'll play something completely different). This week's deck is Hero Beat, a deck that I have a bunch of experience with. Unfortunately there's nothing new or techy about it, but here it is:


Gemini Stun

13
3 Elemental Hero Neos Alius
3 Thunder King Rai-Oh
2 Cyber Dragon
1 Neo-Spacian Grand Mole
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
1 Honest
1 Crusader of Endymion
1 Elemental Hero Stratos

14
3 Gemini Spark
3 Pot of Duality
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 E-Emergency Call
1 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Book of Moon
1 Monster Reborn
1 Dark Hole
1 Heavy Storm

13
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Solemn Warning
2 Dimensional Prison
2 Skill Drain
1 Trap Dustshoot
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Hero Blast

Whereas the Spellcaster deck that I profiled last month has the advantage in Wonder Wand and Magician's Circle, this deck has access to Elemental Hero - Stratos, which really helps make Gemini Spark consistent. Between him, Emergency Call, the 3 Alius and the Crusader pulling of 2 for 2 Spark plays is really easy, and with the increased popularity of Dark World and Rescue Rabbit decks, Bottomless Trap Hole has risen in play. This is important because it allows you to chain Spark, kill the opponent's set monster or spell/trap and Draw a card. 

The low monster count is attributed to a simple state-of-mind, one thought of by Luke Mattingly "You lose the games where you draw all monsters" is what he said about T.G.s and the same rule applies here; drawing all monster hands limits the chance of shutting down opposing plays, and your opponent WILL out-speed you. 

Another fatal weakness of the deck (at least in the UK, where the Shining is illegal) is the lack of a decent boss monster(s). Decks like Agents and Lightsworn have access to up to 5, so stopping those plays is all-important. For this reason 3 Thunder King is an auto-in. It can stop big monsters under Skill Drain, and slows decks consistency plays down (Like Sangan, Agent-Earth, Snoww and Charge), 1900 isn't anything to laugh at and it's a LIGHT for Honest. Grand Mole is another card that is really, really good this format, it can take big monsters away for no cost, cannot be touched by Bottomless and is usable on either players turn. 

If you are playing this deck in America or Canada (or Japan) it's advisable to play 2 Miracle Fusion and 2 Super Polymerization in the deck (either in the main or side). Access to Shining is all important, and cards like Snowman Eater, Gemini Lancer and E-Hero can offer access to Absolute Zero, another big monster. 

By defensive core consists of Bottomless Trap Hole, Solemn Warning and Dimensional Prison. These cards ensure that my beat sticks are protected, and that my opponents power plays cannot go off. One of the format's most defining plays is Tour Guide into Sangan. Warning shuts down this play by not allowing Sangan to come out of the deck. Prison also helps, because a lot of players will attack with the pair of Fiends to deal a hefty 2000 damage. Catch players off guard by using Prison. 

A card that I chose to omit from my original build is Starlight Road. The reason is, not enough decks play field clearing cards anymore; Black Rose isn't popular, Lightsworns have fallen out of favor and by playing cleverly I can make sure that the impact caused by Heavy Storm and Dark Hole is as low as possible. Starlight Road is inconsistent and a card that I don't suggest running.

Thanks for reading, have a good day :D

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your blog, and I really like your ideas :D
    I suggest you putting a budget side deck, this will help most people.

    ReplyDelete